So after a couple month hiatus I finally got back to working on my 3d printer. For Xmas my girlfriend gave me an awesome work bench which I will post a review about later. So after putting that together I sat down to add in my vertical (z) axis.
Originally the plan was to add in more blocks in the corner to allow a threaded rod to run the length. After cutting some blocks out I realized they wouldn’t fit. So instead I took the older/current ones off and added an extra hole on them.
These length wise rods would hold and allow adjustment of the stepper motors that control the vertical axis. I made the height line up so the flat wood piece would rest on top of the stepper motor when the motor sat level with the surface the printer is on.
Above is the blocks with all appropriate holes for the stepper motor, linear rod, and length wise threaded rod.
One thing I had been thinking abut was how to add the stepper and vertical control rod together. I finally came up with drilling a small block first with the size of the stepper motor shaft then drilling part way with the bigger control rod size. I would then add in some polymorph (awesome stuff) and while it was still hot, push in both shafts/rods. This appears to have worked really well but we will see how it holds up under use.